Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Maya: 5 years old!


My little darling is five years old today...and I can't help but think, where did the time go?! The days are long, but the years were so incredibly short. My firstborn little baby is five. FIVE!!! It's all been a blur. Her birth feels like it was yesterday - I remember when they put her on my chest and she looked at me for the first time. It's all been a blur of a million moments, in between.

It has been the greatest blessing seeing Maya grow up. Teaching her things, and having her teach me things. I think she's been the biggest teacher to me...

Being my first baby, I've had no idea what to do half the time. I've had no experience. Every day, as a parent, it's venturing into the unknown...and just praying that you're doing a good job. Every day, the only thing I know what to do is just to love her. Make her feel loved. Make her feel important.

Sometimes she feels like more of my best friend than my daughter. I don't know why. I just love spending time with her. I haven't been able to do much of anything else for the past five years, because anything I want to do seems less important than just being with her. Sometimes I get scared of how close we are...I think, what if I say or do something that hurts her? But I can't not be close to her. We are just like that, us two.

Aspects of her personality have unfolded to reveal an even greater beauty in her. Something so familiar to me, something that reminds me of my grandmother - who she is named after. Her spirit is truly carried on in these children, especially Maya.

Just like how my grandmother was, Maya is so helpful. Everything she does is to help others. Whenever anyone is upset, she immediately runs to their side and offers her help. She takes such a delight in being caring towards others. I think that's what makes her such a great big sister - she's a great help with the baby. She doesn't have a jealous bone in her body. Recently at school, she stood up for one of her friends who was getting teased. I was so proud of her. I always pack a snack for her after school and she always wants to share the whole thing with all of her friends.

Boy, she has so many friends. She is much more social than me or Maddy. She gets along great with all of the children in her class. The majority of her friends are boys, who are all just nuts about her!

She is also a wonderful teacher. She is very advanced with her writing skills so she is helping her teacher give printing lessons to the other students at school.

Maya loves to dance and she loves art. We have a little art easel in our living room and she does about 5 drawings per day. She draws the same things over and over in different variations. I save them all in a folder. When she wants to know how to draw something, she comes to us and we show her. She can copy something identically to the way we showed her. She also loves music and she has specific songs that she likes. Her favorite songs are diverse: she loves "Rock Lobster" by the B-52's, "Umbrella" by Rihanna, "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison, and the Moana theme song. And of course, Raffi!

She is also very playful and a bit mischievous. My mother-in-law said that she's more mischievous now than when she arrived a year ago. She loves to laugh and be silly. She has a very light-hearted personality.

While Veda prefers to stay home, Maya loves being taken out. She loves going to the library, the grocery store, out shopping, or even just running errands. She's such a busy girl and she enjoys always being on the go. She's very specific about her clothes and won't let us shop for her, or even dress her. She likes to pick out her whole outfit, even down to the smallest detail!

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Hi Alex,

    Wow, time speeds by too quick! Can't believe Maya is 5 now, she is SO cute! So happy to see her grow up, such a smart and loving girl. I am glad she is such a big help for you. She will be successful in live and everyone will just love her.

    Love,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments only, please! (That means you, anonymous.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Madh Mama. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig